You’ve booked your in-home photo shoot and now you’re wondering what to wear and how to prepare. I’m here to help!
This guide has been created to make your life as stress-free as possible. It’s a big deal having your family photos taken, and for some of you, it will be your first time.
So grab a cuppa and a biscuit and let’s begin with the most important and commonly asked question…
What to wear
Styling is really important and the clothes you wear will have a huge impact on the look and feel of your photos. It’s also really important that you look and feel confident and comfortable, and you feel like you.
- Coordinate colours but don’t over-match. We don’t want you all in blue jeans and white tops.
- Choose 3 – 4 complementary colours and dress everyone in shades from that palette.
- Stick to solid colours – patterns can be distracting and we want you to be the focus. One patterned piece is fine but no more.
- Start with Mum (we’re usually the hardest to dress). Pick one outfit first and build the rest of the family around that.
- Think timeless and classic. We only want your photos to date with your growing family, not because of your clothes.
- Have spares to hand for baby
- Overmatching – coordination is key.
- Saturated colours (red, cyan, magenta and anything neon). These colours will reflect on the skin and leave unwanted colour casts.
- Patterns – 1 is fine but no more.
- Check patterns and bold stripes.
- Anything with pictures, text or logos. As cute as they look in unicorns and dinosaurs, they will be really distracting in your family photos.
Prepare your home
- Declutter – please have a quick tidy and move all non-essentials from bedside tables.
- Neutral bedding (white, grey, cream, pastel colours) in the master bedroom.
Before your photo shoot
Please tell your children about the photo shoot (if they’re old enough to understand). Show them their outfits that you plan to put them in, especially if you’ve purchased something new. That way they won’t be surprised when you tell them they can’t wear their favourite Paw Patrol t-shirt – I’ve been there!
If you haven’t had a shoot with me before, forget everything you might think about how a photo shoot works. This isn’t your formal school portrait. I won’t be directing you to smile or look at the camera. Instead, we’ll be having fun – the aim is for you all to forget you are having photos taken.
When I arrive
When I arrive, I will have a look around your home to see what the light is like. I will shoot anywhere and everywhere with good light.
Your living room, master bedroom and nursery (if you have a baby) are some of my favourite locations around the home.
I love looking for pockets of light so don’t be surprised if I squeeze you all into a little corner – trust me.
And that’s it!
If you have any question please don’t hesitate to get in touch before your photo shoot.